75.7 F
Sunday, July 14, 2024

Carlsbad man sentenced to 13 years on federal firearms, ammunition charges

Related stories

Pressure mounting for Governor Lujan Grisham to cancel special session

By Adrian Hedden | Carlsbad Current-Argus A coalition of mental...

New Mexico finds oil and gas violations throughout Permian Basin

By Adrian Hedden | Carlsbad Current-Argus More than half the...

Eddy County banks on increased tax collections

By Mike Smith | Artesia Daily Press A large amount...

Mia Coy Campbell, 34, of Carlsbad, was sentenced in two cases Tuesday afternoon in federal court in Las Cruces to a total of 156 months of imprisonment for violating the federal firearms laws by unlawfully possessing firearms and ammunition.

Campbell will be on supervised release for three years after completing his prison sentence.

Campbell’s sentence was announced by Acting U.S. Attorney James D. Tierney, Special Agent in Charge Terry Wade of the FBI’s Albuquerque Division, Special Agent in Charge John J. Durastanti, Phoenix Field Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Chief Kent Waller of the Carlsbad Police Department, and Commander James McCormick of the Pecos Valley Drug Task Force (PVDTF).

Campbell was prosecuted in two separate criminal cases for unlawfully possessing firearms in July 2015 and September 2015. According to court records, Campbell was prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition because of his prior felony convictions for possession of methamphetamine and escaping from a correctional institution.

In the first case, Campbell was arrested on a criminal complaint in September 2015 after law enforcement officers found an assault rifle, which Campbell allegedly used to shoot at an occupied residence in Carlsbad, when they executed a search warrant at a residence in Roswell. Campbell subsequently was indicted in the case in October 2015 and was charged with unlawfully possessing a firearm in Eddy County on Aug. 4, 2015. The indictment in the first case was superseded in February 2016 to charge Campbell with two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm based on his possession of firearms on July 31, 2015, and Aug. 4, 2015, and one count of unlawfully possessing a machinegun on July 31, 2015.

On Aug. 8, 2016, Campbell entered a guilty plea to the superseding indictment in the first case. In entering the guilty plea, Campbell admitted that on July 30 and 31, 2015, he possessed an assault rifle, which is considered a machinegun under federal law. Campbell also admitted that on Aug. 4, 2015, he unlawfully possessed a pistol. Campbell acknowledged that he was prohibited from possessing firearms as the result of his status as a convicted felon. During yesterday’s sentencing hearing, Campbell was sentenced to 60 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release for his conviction in the first case.

With respect to the second case, Campbell was arrested in October 2015, for unlawfully possessing a firearm based on investigation conducted by the Pecos Valley Drug Task Force (PVDTF) and FBI agents on Sept. 24, 2015.

According to the criminal complaint, on that day, the PVDTF and FBI arrested Campbell on the federal arrest warrant issued in the first case as Campbell was walking away from a canopy that covered a partially disassembled go-cart at his residence. When arrested, Campbell’s hands were dirty and greasy and it appeared as if he had been working on the go-cart. A smoldering cigarette near a tool bag by the go-cart drew an officer’s attention where the officer found a firearm. A search of Campbell incident to arrest revealed that he had a pack of cigarettes in his pocket containing the same type of cigarette that was smoldering on the ground near the go-cart. On Nov. 5, 2015, Campbell was indicted and charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm on Sept. 24, 2015.

On March 24, 2016, a federal jury convicted Campbell of being a felon in possession of a firearm in the second case. During yesterday’s sentencing hearing, Campbell was sentenced to 96 months of imprisonment for his conviction in the second case, which is to run consecutive to the 60 months of imprisonment imposed on the conviction in the first case.

Campbell also was sentenced to a three-year term of supervised release, which is to run concurrent to the supervised release term imposed in the first case.

These cases were investigated by the Las Cruces and Roswell Offices of the FBI, the Carlsbad Police Department and the Pecos Valley Drug Task Force with assistance from the Las Cruces office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and were prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Randy M. Castellano and John Andrew Balla of the U.S. Attorney’s Las Cruces Branch Office.

Join the Artesia Daily Press Newsletter

Stay informed with the latest Artesia news and updates, directly in your inbox. Subscribe now!


Latest stories