The Artesia City Council convened Tuesday with a light agenda, including zone changes on Washington Avenue and in the area of the incoming Tractor Supply.
The council approved an ordinance to repeal a previous ordinance and reestablish an R1-B Single Family Residential District on the south side of the 2000-2200 block of West Washington Avenue and also approved an ordinance to annex and design a zoning district for the Tractor Supply Company, which is slated to open in late May.
Councilors also approved a request for the use of city facilities. Jamie Ragsdale, on behalf of I Am Not 4Gotten, requested the use of Jaycee Park May 7-8 for the inaugural Kickin’ it 4 Africa 3v3 Soccer Tournament, contingent upon proof of insurance and security.
In other business, the council approved the hiring of Kyle McCauley and Wesley Green as detention officers at a rate of pay of $2,363 per month and James Herrera as a humane officer at a pay rate of $2,911 for the Artesia Police Department. Both McCauley and Herrera are former APD officers.
As part of its consent agenda, the council:
• approved the appointment of Felipe Garcia to the Recreation Advisory Board to fulfill a term to expire August 2018.
• accepted the resignation of Jayme Rhoades, police corporal, effective April 30.
• permitted one wastewater employee to attend NMWWA Northern School and testing in Espanola.
• permitted one police employee to participate in the Exploring Crime Analysis: Essential Skills I webinar.
• permitted one police employee to attend the New Mexico Police Chief’s Association meeting in Albuquerque.
• permitted four employees to attend the NASRO Conference in Anaheim, Calif.
• permitted two employees to attend EVOC Instructor training in Hobbs.
• approved a request from the Artesia Chamber of Commerce for the use of Jaycee Park from 8 a.m. – 11:30 p.m. Monday, July 4, for the Fourth of July celebration and J&M Displays Fireworks Extravaganza.
• approved a request from the Artesia Chamber of Commerce for the use Heritage Plaza and Walkway from Friday, Aug. 26, – Sunday, Aug. 28, for the Red Dirt Black Gold Festival.
• approved a request from the Artesia Chamber of Commerce for the use of Eagle Draw from 6 a.m. – noon Saturday, Aug. 27, for the Red Dirt Black Gold Festival’s Oilfield Olympics.
• approved a request from the Artesia Chamber of Commerce for the use Eagle Draw Nov. 5-6 for the Balloons and Tunes Festival.
• approved a request from Artesia Main- Street for the use of Main Street and Heritage Walkway Saturday, May 7, for the Mother’s Day Art Walk & Shop Hop.