81.3 F
Sunday, July 14, 2024

Former Roswell police officer, accomplice arrested for Subway robbery

Related stories

Pressure mounting for Governor Lujan Grisham to cancel special session

By Adrian Hedden | Carlsbad Current-Argus A coalition of mental...

New Mexico finds oil and gas violations throughout Permian Basin

By Adrian Hedden | Carlsbad Current-Argus More than half the...

Eddy County banks on increased tax collections

By Mike Smith | Artesia Daily Press A large amount...

A former Roswell Police Department officer has been arrested in connection with the armed robbery of a Roswell Subway.

The crime occurred around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Subway in the 2900 block of North Main Street. A second suspect has also been arrested in connection with the robbery.

Valerie Palombi, 24, of Roswell, was arrested Thursday evening when an officer spotted her at a convenience store in the 500 block of West McGaffey Street in Roswell. Kevin T. Blake, 24, of Roswell, was arrested at his mobile park residence in the 300 block of West Linda Vista Boulevard. Both arrests were made shortly after a judge signed the warrants.

Palombi and Blake are each charged with armed robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery. They are being held at the Chaves County Detention Center on $25,000 cash-only bonds.

Palombi worked as a police officer with the RPD for two years before she was terminated from her position in early January. The termination followed an early December 2015 incident at Palombi’s home north of the city during which she threatened suicide, fired shots while inside the house, and refused to drop a gun she held as deputies and officers from the Chaves County Sheriff’s Office and RPD tried to speak to her outside her home.

Officers and deputies were able to take her into custody after striking her with beanbag shots.

In the Subway robbery case, investigators believe Blake entered the business and used a gun to threaten one of the two employees on duty, then walked that 16-year-old male employee to the rear part of the building where the second employee, an 18-year-old female, was working. There were no customers in the restaurant at the time.

Blake is alleged to have held the employees at gunpoint while Palombi, who had waited outside, entered the front of the restaurant and took cash from the register. Blake and Palombi then left the building. The restaurant.

Join the Artesia Daily Press Newsletter

Stay informed with the latest Artesia news and updates, directly in your inbox. Subscribe now!


Latest stories