87.9 F
Saturday, September 30, 2023
HomeNewsCrimeMan arrested for breaking into library

Man arrested for breaking into library

Related stories

Bulldogs end regular season with dominant win over Santa Teresa

The Bulldog football team wound down its 2023 regular...

Artesia to host local high school rodeo, free to public

The Artesia High School rodeo team wowed the attendees...

‘Dogs to close out regular season on the road vs. Santa Teresa

The end of the first season always has a...

A local man was arrested Friday following a brief foot pursuit on charges relating to a breaking and entering at the Artesia Public Library.

Artesia Police Department officers were dispatched Thursday to the library in reference to vandalism.

Upon arrival, officers were shown a shattered glass door on the south side main entrance to the library. A rock was lying inside the entryway. The door’s metal locking mechanism was also broken. Damage was estimated at more than $1,000.

Police were informed the library had surveillance video of the incident. Officers noted an African American male wearing jeans, a dark-colored hoodie, and a backpack pacing back and forth in front of the entrance around 1 a.m. that day before kicking the door eight times.

The suspect proceeded to throw a rock approximately 1 foot long and 6 inches wide at the door, causing the glass to shatter.

At approximately 4 a.m., the suspect returned and entered the library through the broken door. He was observed taking personal items inside. Around 4 a.m., he left with his belongings.

After speaking with other officers, police learned Lemyron Bishop, 32, of Artesia, had been stopped Jan. 11 at the library and, due to violations, his vehicle was towed. Officers were able to match the hoodie and backpack Bishop had in his possession at the time to those seen in the surveillance video, and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

At around 10:30 p.m. Friday, officers on patrol in the area of Mann and Watson avenues observed Bishop walking down the middle of Watson. They activated their patrol vehicle lights and stepped out of the vehicle, at which time Bishop began running.

After a brief foot pursuit, Bishop tripped over a curb at Clayton and Ward avenues, and officers were able to place him under arrest. In addition to resisting or evading police, he was charged with the warrant for breaking and entering.

Bishop is scheduled to appear Jan. 31 for preliminary examination on both charges.

Latest stories