84.2 F
Wednesday, October 4, 2023
HomeNewsCrimeMan arrested on multiple charges after attempting to flee police

Man arrested on multiple charges after attempting to flee police

Related stories

Bulldog soccer splits with St. Pius, Los Lunas

The Bulldog soccer team closed out its 2023 regular...

Local philanthropist and businessman, Mack Chase has died at the age of 92

The family released a statement early on Monday afternoon,...
Artesia Police Department officers speak with a male individual following a brief pursuit Tuesday in the area of JJ Clarke and Mahone drives. (Teresa Lemon – Daily Press)

An Artesia man was arrested on multiple charges Tuesday when he attempted to flee police following an altercation with a female.

Police on patrol around 1 p.m. Tuesday had witnessed the male walking swiftly across Eagle Draw between the two drives, east of 10th Street and west of 13th Street, as well as a female walking and running westbound along JJ Clarke. Officers noted she was waving her arms and yelling at the male, who was attempting to catch up to her.

Police maintained visual contact and eventually saw the male yelling at the female over her left shoulder as she tried to move in the opposite direction away from him. Officers engaged their lights and were approached by both individuals, who stated they were “okay.” As police attempted to speak with the male, he turned and began running east on Yucca Avenue.

The man continued running northeast toward 10th Street and Memorial Drive. As officers attempted to block him, he turned and began running around the New Mexico Public Health Department office. He ran into a set of steps at the building and fell but got up and continued running around the building.

As he ran along its west side, officers noted his right hand was under his shirt against his beltline. They ordered him to remove his hand, and he was observed to be holding a black handgun. Officers proceeded to engage a Taser, dropping the man at the northwest corner of the building. They were then able to kick the gun away and apply handcuffs.

Police identified the man as Jessie Carmona and were informed by dispatch the handgun he was carrying had been reported stolen in December 2017 in Artesia. The Artesia Detention Center also informed officers Carmona was out on bail in reference to a felon in possession of a firearm charge. His felony charge stemmed from a 2009 incident in California.

Carmona was transported to the detention center on charges of possession or receiving of stolen property (firearm), possession of a firearm by a felon, resisting, evading or obstructing an officer, and possession of drug paraphernalia due to a homemade glass pipe containing a burnt, white substance that was found on his person during pat-down. He is scheduled for a Feb. 21 preliminary examination in Artesia Magistrate Court on those charges.

Carmona was bound over to district court in October 2017 on charges of possession of a firearm by a felon, tampering with evidence, use or possession of drug paraphernalia, and resisting, evading or obstructing an officer. He is scheduled for an 8:30 a.m. April 3 jury trial on those charges.

Latest stories