95.5 F
Sunday, July 14, 2024

Two arrested for 2012 Roswell murder

Related stories

Pressure mounting for Governor Lujan Grisham to cancel special session

By Adrian Hedden | Carlsbad Current-Argus A coalition of mental...

New Mexico finds oil and gas violations throughout Permian Basin

By Adrian Hedden | Carlsbad Current-Argus More than half the...

Eddy County banks on increased tax collections

By Mike Smith | Artesia Daily Press A large amount...
Luis Felipe Jimenez

Two Roswell men were arrested Wednesday afternoon and charged in connection with the 2012 murder of a Texas man.

At the time, the victim’s family was staying at a friend’s west Roswell home when they unknowingly interrupted a burglary. The man was shot when he confronted one of the two burglars.

Determining the identity of the burglars has been the focus of the six-year investigation conducted by the Roswell Police Department and the Fifth Judicial District Attorney’s Office.

On Wednesday, RPD officers arrested Luis Felipe Jimenez, 28, and Joseph Donald Barnhill, 31, on charges of first-degree murder and aggravated burglary (use of a deadly weapon).
During various interviews with detectives from the RPD’s Criminal

Joseph Donald Barnhill

Investigations Division, Jimenez and Barnhill told conflicting stories about what occurred during the Dec. 11, 2012, burglary-turned-homicide. The investigation continues in an attempt to sort out further specifics.

However, investigators were able to determine that on the day of the incident, Saul Sanchez, 39, his wife, and their two daughters, then-ages 6 and 16, returned to the home in which they were staying in the 1500 block of West Third Street to find it ransacked. The home’s owners, friends of the family, were out of town and had allowed the Sanchezes to stay there while they were in Roswell to attend a funeral.

In the early afternoon, the family had just returned to the house from the funeral and were planning to load their belongings and head home to Denver City, Texas, when Saul Sanchez discovered at least one of the burglars inside the house, carrying some of his family’s belongings. When Sanchez confronted the burglar in the hallway, he was shot and killed. His wife and two daughters had retreated to a nearby room.

Join the Artesia Daily Press Newsletter

Stay informed with the latest Artesia news and updates, directly in your inbox. Subscribe now!


Latest stories