100 F
Monday, May 20, 2024

Man wanted in connection with shooting that led to Amber Alert turns self in

Related stories

Bulldogs advance to state semis, Lady ‘Dogs go 1-1 to stay alive

The Bulldog baseball team advanced to the Class 4A...

Sitting Bull Falls gate to reopen under modified hours

ALAMOGORDO -- The U.S. Forest Service has announced Thursday,...
Listen to Story

ARTESIA — The man whose involvement in a shooting incident led to a recent Amber Alert for an Artesia child has been located.

Ricky L. Ellis, 54, turned himself in to authorities Tuesday morning, Dec. 5. He stands charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, abuse of a child, shooting at a dwelling or occupied building, three counts of negligent use of a deadly weapon, criminal damage to property (over $1,000) and tampering with evidence.

On the morning of Saturday, Nov. 25, APD officers were dispatched to the area of West Cannon Avenue and North Eighth Street in reference to shots fired. Upon arrival, they found a man identified as Carlos Renteria on the ground suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.

Through investigation, it was determined that Renteria had been engaged in a confrontation in front of his residence with a second male, identified as 54-year-old Ricky L. Ellis. During the argument, both men had produced firearms and shot at each other.

Ellis was in his black Dodge pickup truck during the shooting, and Renteria continued to shoot at him as he drove away. After police determined that Ellis’ daughter, 2-year-old Lilith Ellis, had been a passenger in the pickup during the shooting, they — along with several other area law enforcement agencies — initiated a search for the girl. They were initially unable to locate her, prompting the issuance of an Amber Alert Saturday evening by the New Mexico State Police.

A few hours after the Amber Alert was disseminated, APD detectives were contacted by a family member, who stated Ellis had dropped Lilith off at his residence in Carlsbad. She was returned to Artesia and placed in the custody of the Children, Youth and Families Department.

Renteria was transported to Artesia General Hospital for treatment of his injuries and was later airlifted to another hospital.

Anyone with potential information regarding this crime is urged to call the APD at 575-746-5000.

Brienne Green
Daily Press Editor

Join the Artesia Daily Press Newsletter

Stay informed with the latest Artesia news and updates, directly in your inbox. Subscribe now!


Latest stories