65.1 F
Friday, February 23, 2024

APD makes three arrests for failure to report woman’s death

Related stories

Pedestrian struck by vehicle on 26th Street

ARTESIA -- A pedestrian was struck by a vehicle...

Baseball Alumni Game

The "old 'Dogs" tried to teach the "new 'Dogs"...

AHS seniors’ artwork showcased in OPAC gallery

The artwork of Artesia High School senior art students...

ARTESIA — The Artesia Police Department (APD) announced Tuesday morning that it has arrested three individuals who failed to report the death of a local woman last month at an Artesia hotel.

Just before 11 a.m. July 7, APD officers responded to Legacy Inn and Suites, 2210 W. Main St., in reference to an adult female who was unresponsive and not breathing. Ginger Acosta, 40, was pronounced dead a short time later by the Office of the Medical Investigator.

The APD Criminal Investigation Division interviewed six persons of interest in relation to the case, and it was determined that Acosta was in the company of several individuals before her death. During the course of the investigation, Det. Cpl. Jim Minter was able to ascertain that three of those people specifically failed to report her death and notify the proper authorities.

The following individuals have been charged with failure to report a violent death: 23-year-old Tatianna Mata, 38-year-old Anna Cruz-Ramharak and 27-year-old Jose DeLaCruz.

According to criminal complaints for Mata, Cruz-Ramharak and DeLaCruz, Cruz-Ramharak told police she had received a phone call from DeLaCruz at approximately 6:45 a.m. July 7, asking if she was in possession of Narcan.

Cruz-Ramharak stated she located Narcan and went to the Legacy Inn, where she observed Acosta lying on the floor. Cruz-Ramharak said she asked DeLaCruz and Mata if they had attempted to revive Acosta, and the two said they had placed cold water all over her body in an effort to revive her.

Cruz-Ramharak told officers CPR was attempted but did not work. She then attempted to use Narcan, and when that did not work, she asked DeLaCruz and Mata how long Acosta had been unconscious. According to the criminal complaint, DeLaCruz responded one hour.

Cruz-Ramharak then told officers she instructed DeLaCruz and Mata to call 911 and left for work. Police reports state no calls to 911 were made until approximately 10:57 a.m.

Cruz-Ramharak has been scheduled for a status hearing at 11 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 18, before Judge Jimmy C. Foster in Artesia Magistrate Court. DeLaCruz and Mata had yet to be arraigned as of Tuesday evening.

Anyone with any other potential information regarding this case is urged to contact Minter at 575-746-5000.

Join the Artesia Daily Press Newsletter

Stay informed with the latest Artesia news and updates, directly in your inbox. Subscribe now!


Latest stories