Southeast New Mexico is a focal point of U.S. oil production amid climbing fuel prices nationwide, according to U.S. Interior Secretary Doug Burgum.
Burgum’s comments came during a Monday, May 4, visit to Carlsbad where the secretary met with oil and gas workers and staff from the Interior Department’s Bureau of Land Management to talk about increased strain on domestic energy production and the role of federal public land.
The interior secretary also represented the U.S.’ Energy Dominance Council, which he chairs, an initiative created by President Donald Trump via an executive order in February.
U.S. Secretary of Energy Chris Wright serves as vice chair, with most of Trump’s cabinet serving as the other 18 members.
The Council is tasked with advising Trump on strategies to increase American energy production, including oil and gas drilling on federal land. Part of those efforts should target New Mexico, Burgum said, as about 70% of New Mexico’s crude oil production occurs on federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management. It’s mostly in Eddy and Lea counties within the Permian Basin, according to a report from the American Petroleum Institute.
That’s compared to the 27% of total U.S. crude production that is on federal land, the report read.
“I think it’s putting positive attention on New Mexican producers,” Burgum said of increased domestic production. “The specific basin that is producing the most is the Permian. A big chunk of that is coming from here in southeast New Mexico.”
The Bureau of Land Management’s Carlsbad Field Office processes more applications to permit drilling than all other bureau offices nationwide combined, Burgum said during an interview with the Carlsbad Current-Argus.
Oil and gas extraction cannot begin until permits are approved.
Burgum touted the Interior Department’s efforts to hasten the process and bring more drilling sites online.
When Trump’s administration took office in 2025, Burgum said, applications took about 500 days to approve. Today, he said, approval takes about 100 days.
The Carlsbad Field Office reduced by 90% a backlog of more than 3,000 applications left by the previous administration, Burgum said.
“When it comes to (the Bureau of Land Management), Carlsbad is the center of the universe,” he said.
The increased production cited by Burgum drew criticism recently from Democrats in Congress who said the Interior Department was putting industry needs ahead of the environment.
U.S. Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-NM, who serves as ranking member of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, chided Burgum during an April 29 hearing for alleged efforts to reduce the agency’s conservation initiatives.
Heinrich’s criticism focused on Trump’s Fiscal Year 2027 budget request, which the senator said would entail staff cuts at the National Park Service and reduce personnel to approve permitting for renewable energy projects.
“I know the American people care about all of these things, and I am confident that the disregard this administration has for our public lands and waters will not be allowed to degrade and destroy our national heritage,” Heinrich said during the hearing.
Burgum responded that the agency was tasked with a “multiple use” philosophy in managing public lands, a philosophy he said was previously ignored to the detriment of economic prosperity and national security.
“The multiple use strategy leads to affordability for Americans, and it leads to national security,” he said. “(Revenue) goes to the state, it goes to education. It’s not energy versus the environment. It’s a both scenario.”
Heinrich also criticized former U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce, Trump’s nominee to lead the Bureau of Land Management. An ardent supporter of oil and gas, Pearce represented New Mexico’s 2nd Congressional District from 2003 to 2009 and from 2011 to 2019.
During Pearce’s Feb. 25 confirmation hearing before the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, Heinrich said Pearce’s past support of the fossil fuel industry was troubling.
“Some of these positions that he has taken, he called for the selling off of public lands. That makes it challenging for me to view his potential tenure at the BLM as one of stewardship,” Heinrich said.
Burgum said he supports Pearce’s nomination and complained that the nominee has yet to receive a confirmation vote from the full Senate after clearing the committee.
“We’re looking forward to his confirmation,” Burgum said. “We’re 15 months in; we’re still trying to get people appointed to these positions. There’s an active effort to try to block this administration’s appointees.”
Managing Editor Adrian Hedden can be reached at 575-628-5516, or @AdrianHedden on the social media platform X.



















